- Donations for memorials will be accepted only for the purpose of purchasing and planting of trees, and for purchasing and installing park benches approved by the City
- Memorials shall be self-supporting, e.g., all costs related to a memorial shall be at the expense of a donor(s), including repair or replacement, if necessary
- Any tree that is mutually agreed upon by the donor and City staff is acceptable
- Memorial tree(s) and bench(s) are permitted at any park, provided that the Director of Parks & Recreation or his designee authorizes the location in the chosen park
- Memorial tree(s) and bench(s) are permitted to memorialize a departed family member or friend or, at the discretion of the Director of Parks & Recreation, to commemorate a special event
- Memorial donations will be recognized by use of a memorial plaque and if the donor so chooses, an additional recognition plaque on the donated bench. This marker will be a non-corrosive metal plate of specific design purchased at the donor’s expense. Standard memorial plaques shall be used to promote consistency in cost, size, type, and mounting, with plaque language approved by the Director of Parks & Recreation. The City will provide residents with a list of accepted park benches for memorial use. This list shall include a description of each bench and color photo. Port Washington Parks & Recreation Department may add or subtract bench or tree selections, as it deems necessary
- The City holds ultimate ownership over all memorial benches and it is prohibited for applicants to decorate, personalize, or add adornment to any bench. Special maintenance requests for specific benches will not be granted except in cases of safety concerns, or damage. If a memorial bench is vandalized or damaged by an act of God, the Parks and Recreation Department will make every effort to repair the bench within the limits of its available funding. If the bench cannot be repaired or replaced, and if the bench is a hazard or is unsightly, the Parks and Recreation Department may remove the bench. Any memorial plaque or bench which is installed without the approval of the City may be removed at the expense of the party who installed the bench or plaque. The City reserves the right to relocate the bench for safety, environmental, or land management reasons. In the event that this occurs, the donor will be notified of the new location of the bench
- A ceremony or gathering at the time of a tree planting or bench placement is permitted, but must be arranged in advance with City of Port Washington staff. All new trees will be annually recognized at the City’s Arbor Day Celebration
- The City does not guarantee tree survivability
- City staff shall maintain a record of each donation. The record shall contain all pertinent information such as the donor's name, person's name that is being memorialized, and type of tree/bench type and location
- No marker, decorations or signage allowed on or around the tree itself
- Donor, with approval and guidance of City staff, selects park and type of tree from an approved list - Location of tree, within park, determined by City Parks staff
- Size of tree to conform to City standard for new tree plantings (1.5”-3” caliper for deciduous trees or 6’ tall for conifer trees)
- Tree to be planted during normal business hours (7:30 am – 3:30 pm, M - F)
- Plastic tree guard provided for young trees (included in donation cost)
- Costs incurred by donor: total purchase cost of tree, including shipping & labor
- Inscription on a 5 x 8 inch bronze plaque limited to 25 characters per line, 4 or 5 lines, ¼ inch (minimum character height), to be installed at base of tree
- Contract completed with prepayment before tree ordered; tree planting will be coordinated with the donor after the arrival of the tree
- A list of available bench styles will be available from the Port Washington Parks & Recreation Department
- Installation time will be coordinated with the Port Washington Parks & Recreation Department
- Donor, with approval and guidance of City staff, selects park
- The Port Washington Parks & Recreation Department will provide a list of available locations to the donor
- Costs incurred by donor: total bench purchase costs (including shipping and installation materials)
- Contract completed with prepayment before bench is ordered
- Inscription limited to 24 characters per line, 3 lines, for dedication on a 2 x 6 inch plastic plaque
- Complete and return application (download @ FORMS & FLYERS link)
- Application is checked then approved or denied
- Application is resubmitted if denied or payment is required if application is approved
- Installation is scheduled
We thank you for inquiring about a remembrance in the form of a Memorial Tree or Park Bench.
We are grateful you are considering a donation to the Port Washington Parks & Recreation Department
Many people have found our tree and bench program to be a wonderful way to convey their thoughts and appreciation for someone they care about.
If you choose to pursue this gesture, we will make every effort to accommodate your wishes and will work with you in the placement of your donation.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us regarding any questions you may have about this program.
It is our privilege to serve you.
You or your designated donor will be contacted upon receipt of application.